Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Current Events

I recently took a job at the Symantec Corporation, working in the Enterprise Marketing group - mainly because I was running out of money (owning a home in this area will do that to you). It is a great company, and I am working for an old friend, and looking forward to doing well.

But I do miss teaching.

For the last two years, I was Director of Bands at Leigh High School in San Jose. My days were filled with conducting a variety of musical ensembles, which I dearly love. Sadly, the salary of a brand new teacher is not enough to make it in the bay area. I was able to make things work by doing consulting work (I am proficient in creating videos and presentations).

As I came into the 2006/2007 school year, I was being told by the district that I had to take a number of classes, which would have forced me to give up the consulting business. Which would mean that I could not afford to live here. And so, here I am, living the corporate life, planning on how to keep music in my life.

And that is the beauty of it. I can have this great job, and still be musical. I am playing in the Ohlone Wind Orchestra, a wind ensemble filled with professional and semi-pro players. And I am still a part of the San Francisco Renegades - the amazing drum and bugle corps experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home