Friday, November 14, 2008

Adventures in Tenor Horn, Part II

Al Perkins and I were recording the Mellocast last week, and we needed a topic. So we spent some time talking about my recent experiences with the Tenor Horn. You can listen to the podcast (and many others of interest to mid-voice players) at www.mellocast.com.

On a related topic, I asked Tony Clements, the conductor of the Silicon Valley Brass Band, if I could audition to play a solo with the group. He agreed, so I went to Al for advice. He sent me a number of options, and I have selected Demelza as the song I will prepare.

It is a beautiful piece. The recording I have is by Sheona White, who is evidently the Tiger Woods of the Tenor Horn. Pretty intimidating to hear her play the tune, but I am going to give it a shot.

I have the solo part, and have been playing through it to get used to the tune and phrasing. In addition, I have a recording that I have been listening to over and over to get the sound of it into my head. Once the tune is in my head, lips and fingers, I will start to shape it into something I can play for Tony.

It's nice to have a goal to work towards. I will play this tune at least twice a day for a few weeks and see how it goes. The piece is not too difficult technically, but it has to be played with great feeling and flawless intonation (no small feat on a Tenor Horn).

Here is the solo part, if you would like to take a look (click to enlarge):

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home