Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Happy Halloween

I'm a little upset about Halloween. To me, it is a holiday for children that has been co-opted by adults.

When I was a kid, we agonized for weeks over what we would wear, what our route would be to maximize candy receipt, and what tricks we would play on our unsuspecting neighbors. Adults were only involved peripherally - walking with the little kids and talking with neighbors.

On the big day, we would gear up in our costumes and grab our favorite candy holder. Many of my friends would use a cute plastic pumpkin, but I was a bag man. Capacity was always key for me. I did not want to run out of space.



Having plenty of sleep beforehand was important, as was a good dinner. You don't want to run out of energy early. It was key to have enough energy to keep trick or treating until at least 8pm.

After that, you'd head home to sort your loot into categories - best stuff (chocolate), good stuff (yummies without chocolate), stuff to trade (no chocolate, not desired) and stuff to get rid of (fruit, coconut stuff).



But now, adults have horned in on the fun. Kids still get to go trick or treating, but now there are scary (but not really frightening) adults to deal with. I don't know, maybe I am a weirdo, but I think kids should have their own holiday, and Halloween was it when I was a kid.

1 Comments:

At 11/02/2006 8:54 AM, Blogger Devans00 said...

Too bad adults these days can't butt out of kids lives for even a few hours, once a year. Now Halloween has become another overproduced, over-coddled chance for parents to spend a lot of money.

Viva the days when kids came up with their own "crappy" costumes and make-up.

Viva the days of pillow-case, neighborhood trick or treating with your friends.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home