Saturday, October 21, 2006

My first fan mail

I am going to write my first piece of fan mail. Author Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club, Haunted, Survivor), a truly wonderful and subversive author, has an unusual approach to fan mail. For one month out of the year, he will answer all the fan mail he receives with letters or, in some cases, packages. Here are the rules:

Letters must be postmarked within the month of October, 2006. I'd encourage people to start writing their letters this last week of September, and then hit the post office the first week of October. Don't do a mad rush in the remaining days of October the way people did last time. The earlier you get your letter sent off, the quicker he'll reply to it.

No packages are allowed! This includes sending him books you want signed. Letters only!

Please type out your letters in a clear, legible font. No hand-written notes. No oddly colored ink or papers. Chuck will toss these letters for the ones he doesn't need a map to figure out.

Return addresses must be made super-clear and be printed on both your envelope AND on the letter itself, and like the letter, be typed out in a legible font. Put it this way, if Chuck can't read your return address, you'll never hear back from him.

Last time around, Chuck asked you all to state your goals. This time around, he'd like to hear more about that, but he'd also like to hear about a recent accomplishment you're proud of. Work, school, a baby...

I am not even sure why I am going to write to him, but I am looking forward to it. As far as the topic, I think it would have to be taking the Leigh HS Wind Ensemble to Virginia Beach last year. Not only did the group play amazingly well, they ended up being the top-scoring group of all the bands that participated in all the festivals put on by North American Music Festivals. Can you tell I am proud of them?

More later...

2 Comments:

At 10/23/2006 1:35 PM, Blogger AnneP said...

I recently read Haunted, and Maaaan, what a ride that was. Like a deranged dream after a night of meatball subs and beer!! Secretly brilliant, and superbly bizarre. I'm looking forward to reading him more.

Oh ... the trade paperback cover glows in the dark. FREAKED ME OUT pretty good one unsuspecting night while snuggling in bed to a good book, turning the light off, and seeing the face looking back at me. AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

Let me know if you get a letter back.

 
At 3/14/2010 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It agree, very good message

 

Post a Comment

<< Home